This is a really easy recipe for all those summer tomatoes still hanging on the vine.
Slice in tomatoes in half, put cut side up on tray. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh herbs. Roast in oven at 350 degrees for 30 min. They are perfect with eggs or over pasta. Bon appetite!
We are busy gearing up for pear harvest which will hopefully start this weekend. John is staging fruit bins in the orchard, the tractors are all tuned up, and the semi is ready to haul our fruit to the packing house to await their turn to be packed and shipped out. Most of the fruit from Sakura Ridge heads to small natural food stores up and down the west coast, to the midwest, and all points in between.
Starkrimson is the first variety to come off the trees. It is a summer pear, meaning that it will be one of the first ones at the market during the August to January pear season. All pears need some ripening time once they are picked. Summer pears, like the Starkrimson, ripen at room temperature without a long period in cold storage that winter pears require. It is also one of the few pears that change color as they ripen, turning from deep crimson to a brilliant crimson red. Their bright color and mild, sweet flavor make them perfect for fresh use in salads, on a cheese plate or with your morning cereal. Check out this link for more pear info and recipes!
Deanna and Chef Maurice
This simple tart looks beautiful and tastes even better. It took less than 15 minutes to get into the oven.
- Start with a puff pastry sheet thawed and rolled out with a bit of flour.
- Place it on a buttered cookie sheet.
- Peel 3 to 5 pears or apples and cut in half. Remove the core. Place the fruit flat side down and make thin slices while holding the shape with your hand. Fan out the sliced pear half and slide it onto your knife and then onto the dough sheet. Continue until the sheet is full of sliced fanned fruit.
- Dot liberally with butter and sprinkle generously with white sugar. We added sliced almonds when we tried this at home. Nice touch. It would be great with ice cream!
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes.